It’s Friday people! And to welcome the weekend, I decided to go all out and make an indulgent (and sinful) dish – Prawn Mac N Cheese! (: Ever since we had mac n cheese at the Sharing house a few weeks back (a post that will come soon, I promise!), I have been wanting to make some. Especially after seeing Neil Perry’s version of truffle mac n cheese. That was definitely a push factor! So there was no better day to make it but on a Friday!
And what better way to enjoy a Friday night in with a comforting bowl of cheesy pasta, with a glass of wine and the plan of having a Batman movie marathon with the mr? Absolutely, nothing! (:
This was a really simple recipe and you definitely could start cooking and end up indulging on your couch in less than 1 hour! Sounds good? Here’s the ultimate winter warmer!
Prawn Mac N Cheese (an original recipe)
250g dried macaroni
1 whole onion, finely chopped
2 carrots, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
320g prawns, diced into chunks
1 cup shredded gouda
1 cup shredded cheddar
1/4 cup grated parmesan
1/2 tbs dijon mustard
450 ml cream
100 ml milk
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1/4 cup bread crumbs
salt and pepper, to season
1) Cook the macaroni in a pot of boiling salted water for 7-8 mins, or until al dente. Drain and refresh in cold water before draining again and set it to one side.
2) In a large pot, melt the butter then add the onion, carrots and garlic. Fry till they get fragrant and soft. Do keep an eye on the garlic and be careful not to burn them.
2) Add the cream and allow it to boil and reduce by 1/4. Add the mushrooms, dijon mustard and milk and boil it for another 10 minutes. Add the prawns and cook the mixture on a low simmer until liquid thickens.
3) Take the cream mixture off the heat, and slowly add the gouda and cheddar. Stir it gently, till the cheeses have all melted and combined with the cream. Put the pot back on a low heat, then add the macaroni and stir it till it’s well combined.
4) Season with salt and pepper, then add the grated parmesan. Place the macaroni and cheese in a baking tray, then top it with bread crumbs and more parmesan if you want. Under a hot grill, grill until the top is golden and crispy.
Serve and enjoy on a couch with your favourite movie! (:
So what is your ultimate comfort food? Do share! hehe