Good afternoon my dear readers! Happy weekend! (: Hope it’s going well and you have lots of fun and yummy things planned ahead of you! Since it’s the start of Spring, I thought it would be a good time to make some new goals!
“Freedom lies in being bold” – Robert Frost
Being bold is about making each day count (be it today, weekly or even for the year), so why not step out of your comfort zone and express your boldness to the world right? hehe The first BOLD thing I’ve decided to do is trying my hardest to make a change in my life – Being healthier and fitter ! My goal couldn’t come in a better time, as Hudsons Coffee also decided to BE BOLD with their launch of a new Barista’s Choice Blend – A rich and intense flavour with caramel undertones. YUM!
I was lucky to receive a a pre-ground take home bag of the new blend and I couldn’t wait to try it! Ever since my brunch at Three Bags Full, I have started a liking to french press coffee! This one wasn’t overly strong on the palette and not too sharp or acidic either! Smooth and a subtle taste of caramel, which the mr loved!
While enjoying my glass of coffee, I had a eureka moment! I really wanted to use it to bake! One particular ingredient came to mind – Banana! So I decided to combine the banana cake with some espresso, and to add some texture to the cake by adding a pecan streusel on top! I have made lots of banana cakes in the past, but never one with a coffee kick! This is me BEING BOLD (number 2) cause I don’t usually bake coffee cakes! So was really excited about this.
While making the streusel, I couldn’t stop sneaking teaspoons of it, cause it was so addictive! The combination of pecan and oats were just delish! hehe It could easily be turned into a mixture for granola too!
Although I am trying to get healthier and fitter, I still deserve the occasional treats yes? hehe So I added some dark chocolate chips in the cake to make it more indulgent! Anyway, dark chocolate is suppose to be good for you. I’m pretty sure there’s some scientific findings to back me up on this. haha
This cake was moist, full of flavour, and I just love having the bursts of chocolate and the crunch of the streusel top! Definitely one cake I would bake over and over again! You don’t need a very big piece to enjoy it, as it is quite rich. A small piece with a cup of tea or coffee is perfect!
Banana Espresso Pecan Streusel Cake (A Food Made With Love Original Recipe)
For the streusel :
1/2 cup + 2 tbs plain flour
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp salt
85g unsalted butter
3/4 pecans, roughly chopped
1) Mix the flour, rolled oats, brown sugar and salt in a medium bowl.
2) Add the butter and rub with your finger tips intul the mixture holds together (my favourite thing to do actually, find it very therapeutic! haha).
3) Add the chopped pecans, mix and set aside in the fridge.
For the cake :
200g unsalted butter
170g castor sugar
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
4 tbs milk
5-6 tbs espresso (I used the Barista’s Choice Blend from Hudsons Coffee)
2 cups + 3 tbs plain flour
1 tsp bicarbonate soda
1 tsp baking powder
3-4 bananas, mashed
3/4 – 1 cup dark chocolate chips
1) Preheat oven to 160 degrees C. Prepare a 26cm by 26cm square tin by lining the bottom and greasing the sides. Set aside.
2) In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
3) Add the eggs, one at a time, and mix until well combined. Add the vanilla bean paste and the mashed bananas. Mix till it is evenly mixed.
4) Mix the espresso and milk in a measuring cup and add it alternately with the plain flour (dry-wet-dry-wet-dry sequence). Careful not to over mix.
5) Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and tap it a few times on the bench to make the top even. Sprinkle the streusel and bake for 1 hour or until the top is golden and the toothpick comes out clean. Cover the cake with foil after 30 mins if it browns too quickly.
6) All it to cool in the tin for 10 minutes and remove it from the tin to rest it on the cooling rack.
Enjoy! (: It was my very first cake I was confident enough to bring to work and share with my colleagues, and they loved it! (: I brought it in during recess and it was gone by lunch! The feedback was that the cake was really moist and they really liked the surprise of the chocolate chips! Yippee!
So here comes the exciting bit! Tell me how you are going to BE BOLD and take that first step of making a positive change in your life! I’ve taken two, the first one will be on-going and the second one is completed, so I would love to hear your side of the story!
Hudsons Coffee and Keep Left PR has been so generous to provide me with two packs of goodies to give away. Similar to what I received, each pack includes : 2 packets (50g each) of pre-ground Barista’s choice beans, 1 (12 oz) Hudsons Keep Cup and a $10 voucher to enjoy a hot cuppa when you’re around a Hudsons store! So how do you win this awesome pack?
To enter this giveaway :
- All you have to do is leave a comment letting me know : What kind of BOLD change(s) you want to make in your life. Remember it can be a daily, weekly or even a year long goal! Come on and let’s #BEBOLD together!
- This giveaway is only open to Australian residents! (Sorry international readers!)
- Follow me on Facebook, Instagram & Twitter, and let me know when you’ve done it!
- Follow Hudsons Coffee on Facebook, Instagram & Twitter as well!
- Winners will be drawn on the 22nd of September 2013, Sunday at 8pm!
- You may re-enter daily, one entry a day (Woohoo!)
- Winners will be picked via random.org and notified on this blog post and via email.
Good luck and have a great weekend ahead! (:
Remember to always cook and bake with love!
Disclaimer : This post is sponsored by Hudsons Coffee & Keep Left PR. I tasted the Barista’s Blend coffee with compliments of both sponsors, however, the review, opinions are honest and based on my personal taste and preference. The recipe is a Food Made With Love original.
And the winners are…..
Iron Chef Shellie & Bonnie-Kate !! Congratulations!!!! I will be contacting you through email soon! x
Congrats again you two and hope you both enjoy your packages! Thank you everyone for your comments again and till the next post, x