Really sorry for the inactivity for the past two weeks! We had my mr’s family over for a holiday and I took the chance to have a break and just spend quality time with the family. (: But I’m back and this time with a brunch recipe as a form of my apology to share with everyone!
So it’s the weekend! One thing we love to do is have brunch. Be it having it out or home. A dish that I love to order when I head out for brunch with the mr is no doubt baked eggs. The best thing about it is when the yolk is still runny and combines with the tomatoey baked beans to become the perfect sauce for me to dip my bread into it and enjoy every single bite. mmmm! So I decided to try and make it for the mr (and more recently, his family) for brunch at home.
And to be a little over indulgent (as I always like to go all out with my meals haha) I love topping the baked eggs with some sauteed chanterelles, with a side of buttery croissant and some crispy bacon! PERFECT! (: I couldn’t be happier with how it turned out. Although I have to say, I always tend to get the eggs a bit overdone and only got it done perfectly once! So I have alot of respect for the cafes that always get it spot on! *bows*
I also got a bit adventurous and decided to make my own baked beans from scratch and it turned out easier than I thought! And trust me, once you try making them from scratch, you won’t really buy the tin ones anymore. Definitely worth the extra 20 mins! Also, you can layer your baked eggs with your favourite ingredients. The first time I made it, I added capsicum. The second time I made it, I added corn and spinach!
I found these beautiful baking dish that was perfect for making individual portions of baked eggs! But of course, you could always just bake them in any suitable baking dish. I used a 10″ quiche baking dish for the family and it looked really pretty too! (: So regardless of the size, I’m sure it will still satisfy your tummy! hehe
So here’s the basic recipe of the baked beans as well as the baked eggs. I will be sharing the recipe that will fill a 10″ quiche baking dish. For big eaters like the mr and I, we could polish that off quite quickly, but it could comfortable feed 3-4 people as well! Do remember that the recipe is really versatile, so you could add your favourite ingredients and it will be super yums!
Baked Eggs with Homemade Baked Beans (a FoodMadeWithLove original recipe)
For the baked beans :
50g speck, diced into cubes (or bacon)
1/2 large onion, finely diced
1 tin diced tomatoes
1 tbs tomato paste
1 tin cannellini beans, drained
1 tsp dried chilli flakes (optional)
1 ts olive oil
1/2 tsp sugar
salt & pepper, season
For baked eggs :
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
3 tbs shaved parmesan
1 tsp dried parsley, for garnish
For the chanterelles :
5g dried chanterelles*
10g salted butter
50ml hot water
1 tsp thickened cream
Garlic salt & pepper, to season
1) Place the chanterelles in a small bowl, and pour the hot water over it allowing it to re-hydrate while cooking the baked beans.
2) For the baked beans : In a small saucepan, heat the olive oil on medium heat and fry the speck till all sides are golden brown. Add the onions and fry till fragrant, continuously stirring it. Add the tomato paste and stir till combined with the onions. Add the tin diced tomatoes and allow it to come to a boil. Lower the heat to low and allow it to simmer for 10 mins. Add the cannellini beans, sugar and chilli flakes. Stir and allow it to simmer for another 5 mins. Pour the beans into the baking dish and set aside.
3) For the chanterelles (garnish) : Drain the chanterelles, reserving the water. Squeeze the chanterelles to make sure it’s dry. In another small saucepan, melt the butter and add the chanterelles. Fry till fragrant, then add the reserved water and thickened cream and allow it to simmer for 10 minutes, or until all the water has evaporated. Season with a pinch of salt (or garlic salt) and pepper.
4) For the baked eggs : Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celcius. Create 4 holes in the baked beans using a wooden spoon, and crack an egg into each of them. Top the eggs with shredded mozzarella and parmesan cheese and bake for 10 mins, or until the egg white is cooked, remembering you would want the egg yolk to be runny!
5) Garnish with dried parsley and the chanterelles. Served with toast.
ENJOY! Have a great weekend!
*Note : Chanterelles could be purchased at Woolsworth in the fresh mushroom section! Of course, you could use other dried mushrooms, or the mixed forest mushrooms that you can purchase from specialty stores.
Remember to always cook with love (:
18 thoughts on “Baked Eggs With Homemade Baked Beans”
You don’t need to apologise or feel bad about not blogging 🙂 we all need a break sometimes hehe ~ So glad you’re back though! And with an amazing baked egg recipe woo hoo! I can’t wait to try it and I’ve never made or had Chanterelles so gotta give it a go 😀
hehe thanks dearie! (: hehe go try and get some chenterelles! They are SO GOOD! hehe hope you’ll enjoy the baked eggs! hehe xx
I don’t think I could find Chanterells here…. how does it taste? You know that I luuurrrve baked eggs. 😀 I shall try making baked beans though. Should be much healthier than the canned one too.
hehe chanterelles are super flavourful but not as strong as porcinis! You could just use the mixed forest mushrooms if you can’t get chanterelles or just use truffle oil to add flavour to your baked eggs! hehe and yes making your own baked beans is definitely a much healthier version and I think it’s yummier too! (: x
Yeah. I usually just use truffle oil. Can’t find porcinis here also. 😦
(: next time buy some back! or actually, you’ll be coming here soon! hehe so u will be able to get them soon!
thank u! (: x
I love baked eggs! I’ve never tried making them myself, but you make it look so easy 🙂
hehe thank you! it’s really quite simple so you should give it a try! hehe (: x
Read your post on a Monday morning and I want to have brunch now. Nice photos and as always, great cooking 🙂
Thank you! (: hehe Really happy to know people are enjoying my posts! hehe x
This looks amazing 🙂 A perfect brekkie lunch or dinner dish! YUM!
hehe definitely! (: all day food! hehe x
homemade baked beans so much love ❤ from this recipe
oo babe where you get the terracotta pots from? Been looking everywhere
ahhh terracotta pots! haha that’s what its called! I couldnt get it out of my brains when i was typing up the blog! haha I got them from House! but they sell it at Chef’s Hat at South Melbourne too! hehe
Hey Dearier, this looks so delicious. U make me want to make this… Yums….
I’m so going to try this cos it’s been boring breakfast for so long. Hahah
Hey dearie! 🙂 I’m sure you can whip this up tomorrow morning for breakfast! Hehe really happy to see that you read my blog! Heh thank you!! x