Corn fritters. Who doesn’t like them? Whenever I go for brunch, I will first look out for corn fritters on the menu and if there isn’t any then I will venture out to try something else! That’s how much I like corn fritters. Nothing better than having something crispy on the outside and soft on the inside with corn kernels bursting in your mouth with every bite! mmmm.
Corn fritters at Replete Providore sparked my obsession with fritters (:
The best corn fritters I had was at Replete Providore in Hawthorn and I couldn’t get enough of it after that! I can proudly say Replete Providore sparked my addiction to corn fritters (yes, it was THAT good!)! They serve theirs with bacon, sour cream and tomato-chilli relish which was sweet and tangy which I love!
But cause I made these on a Friday, and it’s meatless Friday. I had to use something else besides bacon. So opening the drawers in the fridge, I found my last packet of smoked salmon! The first was used to make the tomato and cream smoked salmon pasta a week ago! *PHEW* Lucky I had a packet left, as I was sure the saltiness of the smoked salmon would be perfect with these fritters!
Instead of layering it with sour cream and the tomato-chilli relish, I thought I made it less sinful (just a tad bit) by mixing plain greek yogurt with the aubergine (eggplant) and chilli pickle I bought from a little store at Mount Dandenong a while back.
It was perfect! Creamy-sourish-spicy and added just a little touch of sweetness with some sweet chilli sauce as garnish.
These fritters were crispy and I added cheese to it so it was cheesy in the center. Everything you would want in your breakfast. The addition of okra was surprisingly good because it added an extra crunch. Just love different textures in my dishes! hehe So if you’re a corn fritter lover like me and wanna try whipping this up, here is the recipe! (: I’m very sure you will love it! Cos the mr and I both did!
Corn & Okra Fritters with Smoked Salmon (makes 5 relatively large fritters, serves 2)
12 pieces of okra, sliced
1/2 cup of corn kernels, roasted in the oven and cooled down
1/2 cup + 2 tbs plain flour
1/2 cup chredded tasty cheese
4 mini bocconcini, sliced thinly
2 tbs grated parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/3 cup whole milk
freshly ground black pepper, to season
fresh coriander, for garnish
2 tbs sweet chilli sauce, for garnish (1 tbs for each stack)
vegetable oil, for frying
aubergine & chilli pickle yogurt dressing (optional, recipe to follow)
100g smoked salmon
1) Heat the vegetable oil in a deep frying pan over medium heat while preparing the fritter batter.
2) In a large mixing bowl, combined the okra, corn kernels, the cheeses, salt and pepper and mix it well. Add the flour and stir with a wooden spoon/spatula. Add the milk and egg and mix until there are no dry flour left in the bowl.
3) Once the oil is hot enough (test this by dropping a little of the batter into the oil, it should bubble vigorously), drop 2 heap tablespoons of batter into the oil and flatten it with a wooden spoon. Make sure it’s not too thick, or else the middle might be raw after being pan-fried.
4) Fry the batter one at a time, or at most 2. Fry each side for 2-3 minutes or until each side is a beautiful golden brown. Remove and place on a paper towel to absorb excess oil.
5) Serve with alternate layers of fritters, yogurt dressing and smoked salmon in a stack and top with a tablespoon of sweet chilli sauce for each stack and fresh coriander. Make sure you serve the fritters warm/hot!
Aubergine & Chilli Pickle Yogurt Dressing
2-3 heap tbs of aubergine & chilli pickle (or any relish you have in your pantry)
4-5 tbs plain greek yogurt
Just mix the pickled relish and the greek yogurt together till well combined. Chill in the fridge till ready to be used!
oh yes, if you don’t have the aubergine and chilli pickle, you can use any relish you want and use plain greek yogurt or sour cream instead! The beauty of making your own breakkie at home – use what you have at home and let your creativity run wild!