Brownie. Who doesn’t love them? If you don’t, I’m not sure we can be friends. haha Kidding! But brownie is always something I cannot resist. When I see it, I have to have it – warmed, with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. PERFECTO!
There are many different type of brownies, but the ones I love most is crispy on the outside, and fudgey in the middle, and I think I found the perfect recipe!
Just seeing how the top bit cracks, puts a smile on my face! And being a tad bit OCD and one who is trying to (but failing) lose the baby weight, I decided to cut them into bite size, so that I don’t feel too guilty when having one, or two. hehe
I’m in a coconutty phase, so I decided to add some fine desiccated coconut through the batter before baking and the flavour wasn’t too overpowering. Chocolate was still the major flavour with a tinge of coconut! Mmmm. Plus this wasn’t too sweet. Just the right level of sweetness!
So if you do like your brownie, I urge you to try this recipe, if you haven’t already heard of The Baked Brownie! My dad was here when I made these and he actually said, “How come the brownie from outside doesn’t taste like that?” haha That was one big compliment for me! hehe
Coconutty Baked Brownie Bites (Adapted from Pretty Simple Sweet)
155g plain flour
1 tsp salt
2 tbs desiccated coconut
2 tbs cocoa powder
310g dark chocolate, cut into smaller pieces
230g unsalted butter
1 tsp instant espresso powder
100g caster sugar
100g packed light brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
5 eggs, room temperature
1) Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius. Line the baking tin (I used a 9×13 inch rectangular baking tray) with baking paper, leaving some extra hanging off the sides for easy removal of the brownie.
2) In a medium bowl, mix the plain flour, salt, cocoa powder and desiccated coconut together. Set it aside.
3) Put the chocolate, butter, and instant espresso powder in a large bowl and set it over a small pot of simmering water, stirring occasionally, until the chocolate and butter are completely melted and smooth. Turn off the heat, but keep the bowl over the water and add the sugars. Whisk until completely combined, then remove the bowl from the pan. Allow the mixture to cool till room temperature.
4) Add 3 eggs to the chocolate mixture and whisk until combined. Add the remaining 2 eggs and whisk just until combined. Add the vanilla bean paste and stir until combined. Don’t overmix at this stage or your brownies will be cakey.
5) Add the flour mixture to the chocolate mixture and fold until just a bit of the flour mixture is visible.
6) Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Bake in the center of the oven for 30 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through the baking time, until a toothpick inserted into the center of the brownies comes out with a few moist crumbs sticking to it. Let the brownies cool completely, then lift them out of the pan using the parchment paper.
7) Cut them into bite sized squares and serve them warm with a scoop of ice cream!
Hope you all had a great weekend! Make these and have them today so that you can chase away any Monday blues and have a fantastic week ahead!
Remember to always cook and bake with love! Till the next post, xx.
PS: There will be a give-away in the next post, so stay tuned! (: