So it’s the weekend! And weekends only mean one thing for the mr and I – BRUNCH! It’s something we both look forward to every week. On some weekends, I try to make something for brunch instead of heading out. So I thought you might too! (:
I of course couldn’t wait till the weekend to make this. My nut, Alicia, was here on a holiday and living with us, so I really wanted to make something nice for her for brekkie. Something sweet. I guess nothing beats having a dessert for brekkie does it? Something sweet to start the day going! (:
We were at Queen Victoria Market the Tuesday that just passed and we bought a chocolate brioche from one of the bakeries in the market. The only thing that came to mind when thinking of how to utilise the brioche was french toast! Just imagine the chocolate in between the dough will be melted and be molten when you bite into it. Mmmmm. Just like spreading nutella on bread!
I don’t know about you, but I absolutely adore caramelised bananas. I could have them on my pancakes, crepes and of course on my french toasts! The caramelised bananas acted as a sauce so that the dish won’t feel too dry. It was really easy to make it as well! Just 4 simple ingredients and viola! Caramelised bananas in no time!
Nothing is more comforting than a crispy layer of french toast and a warm, pillowy middle. That’s the way I like my french toast, how bout you? Share with me how you like your french toast! hehe
Chocolate Brioche French Toast With Caramelised Banana (Adapted from Steamy Kitchen)
113g unsalted butter
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
2 tbs water
2 ripe bananas, sliced in an angle
1) In a saucepan, heat the butter over medium heat until it has completely melted. Add the dark brown sugar and stir until the sugar has completely melted into the butter.
2) Add the water and whisk till smoothly and well combined. Cover and set aside.
3) When the french toast is ready, add the bananas into the sauce and cook over low heat for 3 minutes. Don’t cook it for more than that as the bananas will go all soft and lose their bite.
Chocolate Brioche French Toast
1 loaf chocolate brioche, sliced thickly (could use any kind of brioche or challah will work too)
3 whole eggs
2 egg yolks
1/2 whole milk
1/4 cup thickened cream
1 tsp vanilla paste
1 tbs caster sugar
2 tsp unsalted butter
1) Whisk the eggs and egg yolks in a large bowl, add the milk, cream, vanilla paste and caster sugar and whisk till well combined and all the sugar have dissolved.
2) Dip the bread and turn it a few times to make sure the bread slices are well coated and soaked until they have been completely moistened by the custard.
3) Heat a non-stick pan on medium and melt a tsp of unsalted butter. Work in batches (I fried 4 at a time), cook each side of the bread until it’s golden brown. This will take about 3-4 minutes per side. Add the other tsp of butter when needed between batches.
4) To plate : Place and stack the french toast (mine was 2 layers, and 2 in each layer) then top each stack with the caramelised bananas and the sauce.
ENJOY! Have a great weekend! (:
15 thoughts on “Chocolate Brioche French Toast with Caramelised Banana”
Wow, this looks heavenly! I adore chocolate brioche.. and bananas! Together? YUM! 🙂
hehe I do too! (: Chocolate and bananas are a perfect match arent they? hehe
I think my eyes are about to fall off. Chocolate brioche as a French toast is such a great idea! Now I think I’m going to make brioche tomorrow….
oooo! (: it’s nice you can make your own brioche! I have to give bread making another go! hehe Hope you like it! hehe
Omg my keyboard is drowning with my drool… I want them now! By the way I nominated you for the One Lovely Blog award.. Check it out here 🙂
Aww thank you so much!! 🙂 hehe and make some French toast tmr! Hehe perfect on a Sunday! Hope your weekend is going well!
Hrm might be useful if I post the link =_= http://pigouttravels.wordpress.com/2012/07/14/one-lovely-blog-award-and-7-extra-random-things-about-piggyeatalot/
O… M….G…. YES please!!! chocolate, banana… awesomeness.. this looks so good!
thanks dearie! it was very satisfying as a brunch! hehe
Oh. My. God! Deliciousness X a BILLION!!!!
haha indeed!! (: Heading to Brisbane tmr and try the places you told me! any moreeee?
Had a go at the caramel bananas, ended up with a LOT of butter =S poured off half a cup of butter when I was done *shudders*
2nd time around I used 2 bananas, 1/3 cup sugar, 1/4 water, and 3 tbsp of butter and it turned out much better haha!
Thanks for the idea for caramel bananas =)
haha (: oops! I do love my butter 😛 But i’m glad you changed it up and it works better for your own taste! hehe
AWESOME!!!!! holy cow, I can not wait to try this, I want to find a recipe to make my own chocolate brioche, do you know of any?? Love your site, kudos!
Hi Theresa! (: Thank you so much for your kind words! hehe Unfortunately, I have no recipe to make chocolate brioche, but if I do come across one I will let u know! xx