So I have been experimenting on different kinds of meatballs to go with my spaghetti.
You see, I am a HUGE fan of meatballs. I could have with anything or even have it on its own. When I head to Subway for a meal for example, I do not have to think about it, it would definitely be meatballs sub. haha When I head to IKEA, an order of meatballs is a must! (:
So it’s no wonder I am looking for the perfect meatball recipe. I’ve tried the Safeway’s Nana’s meatball recipe. Baby likes that one cause he says the lemon zest in the meatball brings out the taste when he’s having it with spaghetti. I, on the other hand, is not a big fan of having lemony flavour in my meatballs. So I continued my search of finding the perfect one!
I chanced upon this recipe as I was blog-surfing and it looked amazing and pretty sure it will taste amazing as well. So thank you Smitten Kitchen! It turned out really well, and we all loved it! hehe Being me, I took the recipe and tweaked it a little to see if it will turn out good. and this I did!
Of course, I followed the recipe but I added a few more herbs in to substitute for the ones I don’t have.
and to go with my spaghetti (which I fried with garlic, chilli and some salsa), I added pasta sauce mixed with milk and parmesan and baked them further.
topped it with cheese, and my meatball sauce is done! (:
The meatballs were moist, and together with the sauce, it complimented the spaghetti really well! This is one meatball recipe I am going to keep and use to whenever I feel like having meatballs! Which is, quite often haha.
so here’s the recipe : adpated from Smitten Kitchen
Hope you don’t mind, but I changed it a little cause I didn’t have a few of the ingredients you had. (:
3 slices of bread, torn into small pieces
1/3 cup milk
500g pork mince
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 large yellow onion, chopped
1 tsp steak spice
2 tsp Italian mixed herbs
1 tsp oregano
2 tablespoon of tomato paste
1 bottle of pasta sauce, any kind you like, mised with 1/2 cup of milk and 3 tsp of parmesan cheese (Mixture A)
1/2 cup of shredded cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400°F with a rack in the upper third of the oven. Soak bread in milk in a small bowl until softened, about four minutes.
2. Squeeze bread to remove excess milk, then discard milk. Lightly beat egg in a large bowl, then combine with chicken, 1 tablespoon tomato paste, garlic, onion, bread, and the herbs. Form 20 meatballs and arrange in another roasting dish.
3. Stir together remaining tablespoons of tomato paste and oil and brush over meatballs (the paste/oil does not mix in any cohesive manner, but just smoosh it on and run with it) , then bake in upper third of oven until meatballs are just cooked through. I baked mine for about 25 minutes as mine were really huge meatballs! haha
4. Pour in Mixture A and top it with the shredded cheese, and bake it for a further 5 mins.
5. Serve it on it’s own or with spaghetti like I did! (:
Thanks again for sharing the recipe, this is a definite keeper!