Hola dear readers! Obviously I still wish I am back in Barcelona. hehe Have you ever felt the need to cut down on food and eat better? After all the good food (and don’t get me started on the amounts haha) that I’ve eaten in Europe, I decided to try and eat a little healthier when we got back. The thing that has been going around alot these days is the Paleo diet. Don’t worry, I’m not on it! haha I, for one, cannot go through a diet for the life of me. Plus my dearest husband will never allow me to. He’s a firm believer of exercise and eating everything in moderation. hehe But there are a few recipes out there which caught my eye and I’ve written down in my recipes-to-try list! hehe One of which is the cauliflower rice!
I was intrigued by the cauliflower rice ever since I’ve seen it on instagram (follow me on @lianneelow). It’s not rice, but it’s cauliflower that is made to look like rice, and it’s absolutely delicious! hehe There are many different ways to make it and there’s no right or wrong way. The best thing about it is that you can flavour it any way you want! Absolutely anything that you fancy!
I had mine two ways. One as a substitute for rice/quinoa (with dishes) and another in a salad! They both worked really well but I am addicted to the salad. Which is the recipe I’ll be sharing with you today. And trust me, even though you don’t intend to change your diet, this is something you definitely should try making! Plus, there’s no harm in having something healthy yes? hehe
Cauliflower Rice (Adapted from Nom Nom Paleo)
1 head of cauliflower (cut into small pieces)
3 shallots, finely sliced
1-2 tbs olive oil
1 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground coriander
A bunch of fresh coriander, roughly chopped
Freshly ground black pepper
1) In a food processor, pulse the cauliflower into the size of couscous or rice grains.
2) In a heavy-based pan, heat the olive oil and sautéed the finely sliced shallots until its soft and aromatic. When it’s softened, add the cauliflower and stir until it is well coated and mixed thoroughly.
3) Season the cauliflower rice with the garlic salt, ground ginger and ground coriander. Cover the pan and allow it to cook for 5-10 minutes. Season with freshly ground pepper and fold in the fresh coriander.
Cauliflower Rice Salad (Original recipe)
2 cups cauliflower rice
200-300g butternut squash, cubed
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 pint cherry tomatoes (250g, sliced into halves)
Juice of 1 lemon
3 tbs extra virgin olive oil
1 can of chickpeas, drained
salt & pepper, to season
handful of fresh coriander, roughly chopped
1) On a lined baking tray, place the butternut squash and sprinkle paprika and salt. Drizzle some olive oil over. In a preheated oven (180 degrees celcius), bake the butternut squash for 15-20 minutes, or until the squash is tender. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
2) In a small bowl, emulsify the oilve oil with the lemon juice and set it aside.
3) In a large bowl, place the cauliflower rice, then top with the butternut squash, cherry tomatoes and season with salt & pepper. Drizzle the emulsified lemon juice and olive oil and add in the chopped coriander. Give it a good mix until well combined.
4) Eat it by the spoonful or keep it in the fridge for up to 3 days.
I had mine with some extra pine nuts and a hard boiled egg for some extra protein! hehe See, you can have it anyway you fancy!
Enjoy and remember to always cook and bake with love!
8 thoughts on “Going Healthy : Cauliflower Rice Salad”
Looks absolutely yummy! I’m sure Frank would love this too.
hehe make it and would love to know what you & Frank think! x
Definitely going to try this!
glad to hear! (: Let me what you think when u do! x
Looks so appetizing! Going to give it a try next week and have it for lunch.
hehe it is really good! and I’m kinda addicted to it! hehe Making it again tonight and having it with beef rendang! hehe Try it and let me know what you think! x
I love cauliflower! No matter if its’ cooked, pureed or just raw hahaha and like you I’m also trying to go a little healthier *Failed* but will try that again and try eating cauliflower rice salad instead 🙂
hehe You have to definitely try this!!! I know you will LOVE IT! hehe definitely feel healthier after having it! xx