When you think of St Patrick’s Day, you think of stout. Word association I say. That was exactly what we got to have on this special day (: Of course, I am more of a cider girl, so my choice was the Dirty Granny.
We never really celebrated St Patrick’s Day, but this year, I was just really itching to bake something. It has been a while since I used the oven for baking sweets, so I thought I should really get cracking. I bookmarked a recipe from Steph from her amazing blog Raspberri Cupcakes a long time ago, and as I went through my endless list of “recipes to try”, my eyes was drawn to her ‘Beer & Nut’ Brownie! So I had to give it a try for sure (:
This was a perfect recipe to whip up on a Saturday night, it was quick and definitely delicious! Especially when you’re craving something chocolatey. This would definitely satisfy that craving, or any sweet craving that’s for sure! It was crispy on the outside, moist on the inside! Don’t worry if you’re not a huge fan of the taste of stout (like me), cause like Steph said, the taste of stout is really subtle, you will taste more chocolate than stout for sure! And if you ask me, the addition of peanut butter was just perfect. Yes, peanut butter. Just for extra crunch, I used the crunchy one. YUM!
My brownies didn’t turn out as beautiful as Steph’s though. Sadly, my swirls came out as blobs. haha But nevertheless, it was delicious and definitely something I would make when I am craving for something nutty and chocolatey!
Thanks for allowing me to share the recipe Steph! (:
Steph’s ‘Beer & Nut’ Brownies from Raspberri Cupcakes
(serves approximately 20)
125g semisweet chocolate
100ml stout (Steph used chocolate stout but I couldnt find it but the regular stout worked too!)
3 tbsp dutch process cocoa powder, sifted
75g plain flour
190g caster sugar
160g peanut butter (smooth or crunchy, your preference!)
1. Preheat oven to 160 degrees C. Grease very well and line the bottom and two long sides of a 20x30cm baking tin. Let the baking paper hang over the long edges so that it will make it easier to lift brownie out later.
2. Break up chocolate into small pieces and chop up butter into 1cm cubes and place in a heatproof bowl. Heat over a saucepan of boiling water. Stir and set aside to cool for a few minutes.
3. Sift cocoa powder, sugar and flour into a large mixing bowl. Add melted ingredients, stout and eggs to the dry mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until just combined. Take care not to overmix or the brownies will be tough. Pour into prepared tin.
4. If peanut butter is coming out of the fridge, you may need to heat it gently in a small saucepan to make it less viscous. Using a teaspoon, place dollops of peanut butter over the surface of the brownie mix. Using a round-bladed knife, swirl peanut butter into the brownie mix.
5. Bake for 22-25 mins, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out with a few moist crumbs attached.
6. Remove from the oven and place tin on a wire rack. Cool completely in tin before removing and cutting into squares. Can be stored overnight in an airtight container in the fridge.
Before you serve, microwave the brownies on high for 20 secs to warm them up and serve with a huge scoop of vanilla ice cream. Match-made in heaven. (: ENJOY!
8 thoughts on “Boozy Nutty Brownie”
Hehe that is the oddest name for a cider! You would definitely remember that one! 😛
haha yes definitely! 😛
Hahhaa where did buy that apple cider? I want to get a bottle LOL Mr Bao will love it ~ what are you talking about Lianne ~ these brownies look great and I’m having serious brownie cravings now 😀
Sighhh not a lot of brownies here ~ can’t wait to get my brownie fix when I’m back 😀
I got it from a bottle shop called Bottle O! Hehe 🙂 in the cider section! Hehe
And thank you dearie. You’re always so encouraging! 🙂 I’m sure u will find a good brownie in HK! Hehe or just wait till u get back! Hehe
I think i found a half decent brownie today 😀 WOO HOO! It wasn’t the best but good enough hahaha ~ gotta go get that cider as soon as I come back YAY!
haha will be satisfying for now till you come back! hehe (: and yes! Get that cider! hehe are u a cider fan?
Definitely but not as bad as Mr Bao he’s obsessed with it! He was spending so much on that Appletiser drink hahaha ~ i just had a good bannoffe pie too my day is finally complete 😛
aww ive never had bannoffe pie before but I heard it’s really yummy!