I’m back and I’m free!
Free to do what I love to do most: Cook and bake! The past two weeks have been crazy to say the least. I was relying on just 2-3hrs of sleep a day just to complete the last 3 assignments for the semester. Thank goodness I don’t have exams! haha So I crashed almost immediately after I handed in my last assignment. But only recovered a couple of days ago!
One of the first things I wanted to do was of course BAKE! (: Had so many recipes I wanted to try. I had cravings for green tea and it has always been my favourite asian flavour for desserts. My second is black sesame! My day wouldn’t be complete without a cup of hot green tea.
So I why not combine them together right? AWESOME AWESOME idea! (: I came across this recipe on Delicious Coma while blog hopping and I was thrilled and excited to give it a try!
and boy was it yummy! The cupcake was the softest texture I ever got and the green tea cream cheese icing just compliments it SO WELL! My housemate actually said that it’s the best one he’s had so far! WOO! haha.
So here’s the recipe I adapted from Delicious Coma ENJOY!
Black Sesame Cupcakes
6 Tbsp (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup black sesame seeds
1 large egg, room temperature
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1 1/4 cups (155 g) all purpose flour
1/2 cup PLUS 3 Tbsp milk
1. Preheat the oven to 170 degrees C. Line a mini cupcake pan with 12 baking liners.
2. Toast the sesame seeds in a dry pan on the stove over medium heat, stirring them constantly, until they are fragrant (about 2 minutes). Crush toasted seeds with a mortar and pestle until they are the texture of damp sand and set aside (I cut carried away and was crushing them for almost 20 mins!). Separately, sift the dry ingredients into a medium bowl; set aside.
3. Cream the butter and sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Add the ground sesame seeds, egg, and vanilla and beat until combined. Alternate the dry ingredients and milk (i.e. beat in 1/3 of the dry ingredients, add 1/2 the milk and mix well. Add another 1/3 of the dry ingredients and the remaining milk, and the remaining flour). Mix until batter is smooth.
4. Fill cupcake liners until they are about 2/3 full (I put the batter in a piping bag and pipe them into the liners). Knock out any air that is in the batter after filling the liners. Bake for 15 mins or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove cupcakes from pan as soon as safely possible. Cool completely before frosting as desired.
Matcha Cream Cheese Icing
1/2 cup butter (1 stick), room temperature
2 cups (8 ounces) powdered sugar, sifted (more if needed)
10 ounces cream cheese, room temperature and cut into small pieces
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 to 4 tsp matcha (green tea) powder (I used 4 cause I really like it!)
1. Sift powdered sugar and matcha together into a small bowl.
2. In a larger mixing bowl, cream the butter, powdered sugar mixture, and vanilla until thoroughly blended. Add the cream cheese, a chunk at a time, beating after each addition (just enough to work it in).
3. Pipe it on the cupcake how you like it. Sprinkle some toasted black sesame on top.
7 thoughts on “FREEEEDOM!”
Oooh! Black sesame cupcakes – I love that idea!
thanks Agnes! (: It’s really yummy! i love black sesame!
No. 1 on my to-do list after exam on the 19th!!
hehe nice!!! let me know what u think!
Yummo! Black sesame & green tea are two if my favourite flavours :). The cake looks wonderfully light & fluffy and the green tea icing is so bright!
Thanks Shez! (: hehe It’s a lovely combination and one of the best I’ve made I think! haha According to my boy and my housemate!