a while back, I made tiramisu for a mini housewarming that we had at our place. Of course, I bought I big bottle of Kahlua just in case for times like these! I am a bit fan of Kahlua and have always been wanting to try how it would be in cupcakes. Boy did I give it a good shot. I didn’t only have it in my cupcake, I had it in my filling and in my frosting! haha. Now it’s no wonder I named this the triple kahlua surprise yes?
I sourced around for recipes that people have tried and tweaked it a little, came up with my own ganache filling and buttercream frosting so I’m a happy girl (: I think it turned out really well and for once my frosting looks like those you can find in cupcake shops! Well definitely not perfect, but I’m just super happy that it kinda looks similar! haha
so the texture of the cupcakes were soft and when it is in your mouth it has the texture of a chewie brownie! So it is a little dense and quite similar to the texture of a souffle, a dense souffle. Possible due to folding in the stiff egg whites into the mixture at the end. The ganache really compliments the cupcake and the buttercream frosting makes it less rich so I think it’s a perfect match! (: Top it off with shaved chocolate and you have a yummy little dessert on a plate.
When you see the recipe, you might think it’s way too much Kahlua, but you barely taste any in the cupcake itself. The only thing that has the taste of it is the icing (which you can alter the amount you want) so really the amount I used in this recipe is just nice! So if you’re a big fan of Kahlua, try giving this little cupcake a shot! I’m very sure you won’t regret it!
Triple Kahlua Surprise
Chocolate Kahlua Cupcake
3 eggs, separated
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup (113.5g) butter
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup cold coffee
3/4 cup Kahlua
1. Line the cupcake tin with liners and set it aside. Preheat oven to 180 degree celcius. Sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and baking powder together and leave it aside.
2. Beat egg whites until frothy, add the caster sugar a little at a time and beat until stiff peaks form, set it aside.
3. Cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy, add the egg yolks one at a time, beating after each addition.
4. Add the flour mixture into the creamed mixture alternatively with the coffee and Kahlua.
5. Fold the egg whites into the mixture 1/3 at a time until you don’t see anymore egg whites. Careful not to over fold them.
6. Fill the cupcake liners till 2/3 full and I used a pipping bag to fill them, just reduces the mess and keeps them similar in size and shape (: Bake it for 10 minutes (mine were mini cupcakes, so if you’re baking the normal size one, 12-15minutes)
7. Let it cool while you prepare the filling and icing.
Kahlua Chocolate Ganache Filling
226g dark chocolate
2/3 cup cream
2 tbs butter
2 tsp Kahlua
1. Place chocolate in a heatproof bowl.
2. Heat the cream in a heavybase pot until simmering and pour over the chocolate. Let it sit for a minute and stir until smooth. Add the butter and Kahlua until combined.
3. Let it sit till it becomes the right consistency. While waiting, using the cone method, cut a portion of the center out and once the ganache is of the right consistency, pipe/spoon (I used the latter) it into the centers.
a portion of the center is taken off using the cone method and waiting to be filled!
Kahlua Buttercream Frosting
400g icing sugar (depending on the consistency you like it to be)
5 tbs of Kahlua (you can reduce or add more, depending on your liking)
1. Beat the butter until light and fluffy.
2. Add the icing sugar gradually, until incorporated. Mix in the Kahlua until smooth. Pipe the frosting and top it off with shaved chocolate (or anything you like really).
i love how it stays in this shape (:
9 thoughts on “Triple Kahlua Surprise !”
Mmm, kahlua. This looks perfect for chasing away the mid week blues! Love the little lip print on the first picture btw- too cute! 🙂
thanks Laureen! (: yes. it is indeed. Perfect for chasing any kind of blues away! haha and regarding the lip, I like to put a lip in most of my shots especially for food!
They look really good! Mmmm I love Kahlua too! It tastes like a milkshake heehee 😛
Thanks Lorraine! (: To think about it, this does taste a bit like milkshake!
nice oneeee. =) i really love the “dairy queen soft serve ice cream”-shaped icing!
Thanks Clara! (: I was really happy the shape could stay!!! haha
I loved kahlua until I discovered Double Espresso Vodka. It has a very intense coffee taste (and caffeine) with out the thickness or sweetness of kahlua. These look delicious though.
Thanks Deanna! (: Never seen the Double Espresso Vodka, sounds yummy! I shall source for it. hehe Thanks for the recommendation!